How to Make Clothes: 500+ Tutorials for Making Your Own Clothes
All of our free sewing collections of clothing patterns, on one convenient page!
You must be logged in to add a private note. Login | Register
We are adding the pattern to your Sewing Patterns.
The pattern was added to your Sewing Patterns.
You must be logged in to save a pattern. Login | Register
One of the main reasons sewists turn to this exciting and rewarding hobby is that they want to learn how to make clothes. When you learn how to make your own clothes, you have the kind of control over your wardrobe and style that no one else does.https://www.pinterest.com/powerpoint_templates/vintage-and-retro-powerpoint-templates/ While the rest of the world wears the skirts and dresses they bought at the same ten to twelve stores, you get to twirl in unique free dress patterns. Here at AllFreeSewing.com we have HUNDREDS of free sewing patterns for making your own clothes. You could easily learn how to make clothes to fill your entire wardrobe with these gorgeous ideas. How to Make Clothes: 500+ Tutorials for Making Your Own Clothes has any tutorial you will ever want.
If you are looking for short-term sewing patterns, check out our giant collection of 200+ DIY Sewing Projects by the Minute. 200+ DIY Sewing Projects for Beginners
How to Make Clothes: Tops
We’re starting from the top (literally) with this massive list of how to make clothes tutorials. While DIY dress patterns are fun for special occasions or even day-to-day wear, sometimes you just want to wear separates. This list of our favorite shirt sewing collections contains everything from DIY hoodies for fall and winter to comfy and stylish tank tops and tees from warmer weather. When you are making your own clothes, these are some of the first free sewing patterns you are going to want to check out! Take a look at these gorgeous and easy how to sew clothes tutorials for DIY tops, tanks, sweatshirts, and more.
24 DIY Sweatshirt Ideas: How to Make a Hoodie, Make Your Own Sweatshirt, and More - Learn how to make a hoodie to keep you warm all winter and how to make sweatshirts that make great spring and fall jackets. You are going to love making your own clothes when they are this comfy.
28 Free Summer Shirt Patterns - Show off those arms with these how to sew shirts tutorials. When the summer sun shines, you will be grateful that you have learned how to make clothes that show some skin.
How to Sew a Jacket: 25 Patterns to Keep You Warm - Use free sewing patterns to make jackets for your whole family. There’s no need to spend a ton of money to make sure you keep warm.
How to Make a Tunic: 11 Easy Sewing Projects - Tunics are a great way to learn how to make clothes, because they are simple to sew and always fashionable. These patterns will not go out of style.
33 Free Shirt Patterns: Learn How to Sew a Shirt - Find even more free shirt patterns in this collection of tops to sew. You will love wearing these!
In addition to making your own clothes with t-shirt and top patterns, you are going to want to learn how to sew bottoms, too! From summer shorts patterns that are perfect for hot weather to ways to sew and take in pants, these DIY bottom patterns are your solution to designing chic and fashion-forward shorts and pants. We’ve even thrown in a few kids’ patterns as well! Learn how to make clothes like DIY pants and DIY shorts with these tutorials.
How to Sew Shorts: 40+ Free Shorts Patterns - Make your own clothes for summer with these smart shorts ideas. Whether you are making the perfect pair of cut-offs or learning how to sew full patterns like Bermuda shorts, you will love these free sewing patterns.
How to Sew Pants: 31 DIY Pants for Comfort and Style - If you are not into showing some leg, you can learn how to sew pants instead. Perfect for any day and every day, you cannot learn to make your own clothes without sewing some pants!
Making Your Own Clothes: Free Dress Patterns and Skirts
There’s nothing as elegant as a beautifully fitted dress that makes you feel as confident as you look. Free skirt patterns and patterns for sewing dresses are some of our most popular sewing patterns. Our readers cannot get enough of learning how to make clothes that are feminine and fancy. Learn how to sew your own clothes for any event when you make one of these DIY skirts or DIY dresses. From summer maxi dress patterns to free skirt patterns that are perfect for the office or dinner out, these fashionable sewing patterns have classic, modern, and eclectic vibes, so that you can easily find a dress or skirt that matches your own personal style.
46+ Free Skirt Patterns - This massive list of free skirt patterns is sure to hold your next sewing project.You might not be able to pick just one and that’s okay. Sew as many as you want!
29 Long Dresses for Summer, Women’s Maxi Dresses, and Skirts - Hello, sunshine! And hello brand new skirt or dress. These flowing free dress and free skirt patterns are perfect for warm weather. Many of them are great for cooler days too!
75+ Dress Patterns for Sewing + New Free Dress Patterns - Our readers are obsessed with this page and you can see why. It is dresses as far as the eye can see. This is one of our biggest collections of dresses to sew.
35 Free Skirt Sewing Patterns: How to Make a Skirt Out of Jeans & More - Find even more free skirt patterns to sew in this list of ideas. Learning how to make your own clothes comes with a lot of gorgeous options.
How to Make a Pencil Skirt: 11 Free Skirt Patterns - Making your own clothes can mean learning how to sew your own clothes for interviews and fancier events. Pencil skirts are perfect for important occasions.
Your DIY Maxi Dress and Skirt: 34 Free Clothing Projects for Every Season - Maxi dresses and maxi skirt patterns are some of the easiest free sewing patterns out there. Plus, they are insanely comfortable too!
In addition to skirt and dress patterns, learning how to make your own clothes includes some other miscellaneous patterns. If you’re a lover of vintage fashion, be sure to download our free eBook of retro-inspired clothes for ladies below. We’ve also compiled our list of stylish DIY maternity clothes for fashion-forward mommies-to-be, as well as our reader favorite list of figure flattering sewing patterns, so that you can stylish no matter what you wear. Check out these how to sew clothes for women that you might need one day.
11 Free Vintage Patterns: How to Sew Retro-Inspired Clothing for Ladies Free eBook - Download this free sewing eBook if you love vintage sewing patterns. You will look straight out of 1965 when you learn how to make your own clothes with vintage ideas.
22 Ideas for How to Make Maternity Clothes - If you are an expecting mommy, none of your old clothes are going to fit. Learn how to make your own clothes while you wait for your precious bundle of joy.
40 Figure Flattering Free Sewing Patterns - One of the best things about making your own clothes is being able to make pieces that not only fit but look great too! Check out these figure flattering free sewing patterns and how to make clothes tutorials that help you look your best.
21 Sewing Tutorials Inspired by 1940s Fashion - If you love vintage fashion, then you’ll fall in love with this collection of DIY clothing inspired by the 1940s. We’ve made sure to include some dresses and gowns inspired by Hollywood’s Golden Age, as well as fun pin-up inspired looks and military-style fashion popular during WWII. And if you want to get your little ones in on all of the vintage fun, no worries. AllFreeSewing has made sure to include some fun retro DIY clothing for girls and babies as well.
Babies and kids need clothes too! If your little ones go through new clothes constantly, then you’re in the right place. Learn how to make your own clothes for the whole family when you check out these free baby sewing patterns and how to sew clothes for kids ideas. We’ve included some fun and girly patterns that your little princess is guaranteed to love, as well as easy sewing projects for boys and babies. Kid’s clothing can be expensive. Save some money by making your own.
How to Make a Onesie: 11 Onesies for Babies - Nothing is more important to a baby’s wardrobe than onesies. Learn how to make a onesie with this adorable list.
50+ Free Clothing Sewing Patterns for Girls - Your girl probably loves swirly twirly dresses and this list of free clothing patterns for girls has plenty of those.
Sewing for Boys: 17 DIY Clothing Ideas That He’ll Love - Don’t forget about your little man! Learn how to sew clothes for the little dude in your life with this collection.
Sewing for Baby: 17 DIY Baby Clothes - Sew even more DIY baby clothes ideas with this list of baby clothes ideas.
And we have even more! These collections of how to sew clothes tutorials show you how to make your own clothes in a variety of ways. From how to make underwear ideas (we have a ton!) to pajama patterns, these exciting and unique lists will help you fill in any gap you might have in your own wardrobe. We’ve also included lists of some hard to find patterns, such as DIY swimwear for the whole family, and special occasion sewing projects for prom and wedding season, so that no matter where you are, you’ll always look good.
14 How to Make Lingerie Tutorials: How to Make Underwear + How to Sew a Bra - Learn how to make clothes you wear every day by making your own undergarments. From fixing bras to free underwear patterns, this collection is a must-have.
How to Make a Vest: 8 DIY Vest Pattern Ideas - Learn how to make your own clothes for layering with these vest ideas for the entire family.
How to Make Pajamas: 12 Free Pajama Ideas - Sleep tight and sleep comfy when you focus on making your own clothes for sleeping in!
How to Make a Swimsuit + 15 DIY Clothing Ideas for Summer - If it is time to hit the beach or the pool, you are going to need a swimsuit. Learn how to make a swimsuit with these ideas.
How to Make Underwear: 7 DIY Underwear Patterns and More Free Sewing Patterns - You can’t have too much underwear, especially these super comfortable DIY underwear patterns!
18 DIY Prom Free Sewing Patterns: DIY Prom Dress Patterns, DIY Hair Accessories, and More - If your teen son or daughter is going off to prom, you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg for him or her to have a great time. These free sewing patterns for a DIY prom will save your money for their college tuition.
24 DIY Wedding Sewing Tutorials: How to Sew a Wedding Veil, How to Sew a Ring Bearer Pillow, and More - DIY weddings are so popular now because who has the money to put on such a grand affair? Save your money for taking a trip with your new spouse with these sewing tutorials.
You can’t make sewing patterns for women without bags and purses! You’re going to love our list of over 50 Patterns to Sew Purses!
What is your favorite part of making your own clothes?
Tags / Related Topics
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
We were unable to sign you up - please try again.
Thanks for your comment. Don’t forget to share!
zidnialiyah 432949 2
Wow! awesome stuff and i already understood schooll. Anyway, what do you think for the image gallery about Indonesian batik fabrics are very beautiful http//www.raparapa.com/gambar-batik/ . Thankiss
Hi I want to learn stitching.I don’t know .Please help me.How can i start
I recommend checking out some tutorials on youtube. Those can be really helpful since you can SEE how to do it. I know AllFreeSewing has a great youtube channel here. Maybe start there? https//www.youtube.com/user/AllFreeSewing
http//img3.modlily.com/images/201506/goodsimg/1265 == 53P1433390336926.jpg. would your please help me to make this and other shirts
My mother is passing on her talents in sewing to me and teaching me t alter patterns so I can create my own style
Fit. Fit. Fit. It is all about the fit! Fit is paramount and I love my clothes to fit me well. I love to design a well-fitted garment that will make me look and feel like a million bucks - and that is priceless!
Oh I agree so much. Store bought clothes never fit me. It’s like. why even bother LOL!
Pairing a beautiful fabric/pattern with a beautiful pattern made just for you, is a very personal choice that speaks volumes about the person sewing and wearing his/her creation.
carleyknits 041151 0
My favorite part of making my own clothes is that they actually FIT. No gaping buttons, no awkward pulling anywhere. the tailoring is perfectly to me )
gmeyerholtz 202849 9
My favorite thing about making my own clothes is having something unique. Whether it is an applique, or a detail of my own, or an interesting fabric, it is a one-of-a-kind creation.
ridiculosity 67303 43
My favorite part of making my own clothes is designing them. I can have a modest length and fit and not have to wear what someone else decides is popular.
Being able to make changes to the pattern so it is uniquely mine.
The only clothes I have every loved are those that I have made myself.
renardbeverly 9697 841
I want to learn how may own cloths. I can never find the right size for my body
My favorite part of making my own clothes is making a one of kind garment that is unique and a reflection of my style!
My favorite part is being able to have the exact color and pattern that I want in my clothes.
Not having to try it on in store!
My favorite part of making my own clothes is looking for and finding that perfect material that suits my style.
Everything offered is so helpful. Such a great assortment of items to make and the simplicity of making them. Nice to have items that fit and look so professional. Videos are helpful and enlightening.
My favorite part is being able to make it fit. With ready made clothes, the sleeves are too tight and long and with a tank the arm holes are too small if the bust fits.
allisoneast 171420 5
Proper fitting plus size. That’s a reason for me.
grandmapamt 547856 1
I love selecting the fabrics and colors, along with patterns that reflect my personal taste and style.
I love being able to adjust different parts of a pattern to fit like it should.
janejeffressthomas 1 8161230
You can make the clothes fit your body.
I love the videos and tips, very helpful and useful! Thank you!
randijohnson77 806 0009
My favourite part about sewing my own clothes is the FIT. I can customize the size to fit me and feel comfortable in my clothes.
Amazing tip! Thanks for sharing these a href=“http//www.dlcopatternsandgrading.com/“patter == ns for sewing/a.
These tutorials are so helpful and fun! Thank you so much for sharing!
Thank you for the lovely shout out! These are fun a href=“http//www.dlcopatternsandgrading.com/“clothi == ng patterns/a to sew up)
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Heart Shaped Zippered Pouches
Create these lovely Heart Shaped Zippered Pouches for Valentine’s Day. When it comes to sewing for beginners, it simply does not get… See more
My Sewing Patterns (0) View »
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
Prime Publishing Craft Group
© Copyright 2018 Prime Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
Sign In With One Of Your Social Accounts
Images from other crafters
Help others by adding images to this pattern. It’s easy! Click here to start
Please sign into your account to add new images.
There are currently no images from other crafters.
You must enter into this Agreement if you want to submit digital images or other content to Prime Publishing through Sharing Customer Images (the “Service”). As used in this Agreement, “we” or “Prime Publishing” means Prime Publishing, LLC. and “you” means the individual or entity submitting materials to Prime Publishing. Any individual or entity that wants to use the Service must accept the terms of this Agreement without change. BY CLICKING THE ACCEPT TERMS AND CONDITIONS BUTTON, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ALL TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT AND ALL SPECIFICATIONS AND GUIDELINES INCORPORATED BY REFERENCE.
1) Eligibility. You may only submit Materials to the Service for which you hold all intellectual property rights. In other words, if you submit a digital image to us, you must own all rights to such image or you must have the authorization of the person who does own those rights. The Service is limited to parties that lawfully can enter into and form contracts under applicable law. Minors may not submit Materials to the Service. Further, you may not submit any personally identifiable information about any child under the age of 13.
2) Definitions. As used in this Agreement, (a) “Affiliates” means any entity controlled by, in control of, or under common control with Prime Publishing, (b) “Materials” means all content that you submit to Prime Publishing, including all photographs, illustrations, graphics and text, and © “Media” means any means of conveying information, whether now known or hereafter devised.
3) License Grant for Materials. You hereby grant to Prime Publishing and its Affiliates a worldwide, nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual right and license to (a) reproduce, distribute, transmit, publicly perform and publicly display the Materials, in whole or in part, in any manner and Media, (b) modify, adapt, translate and create derivative works from the Materials, in whole or in part, in any manner and Media, and © sublicense the foregoing rights, in whole or in part, to any third party, with or without a fee.
4) Removal of Materials. If you decide you would like to remove your Materials from the Service, you may provide written notice to Prime Publishing by either deleting the image through the Prime Publishing interface or by contacting Prime Publishing customer service, and Prime Publishing will remove such Materials from the Service within a reasonable period of time.
5) License for Name, Trademarks and Likenesses. You hereby grant to Prime Publishing, its Affiliates and sublicensees a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to use all trademarks, trade names, and the names and likenesses of any individuals that appear in the Materials. You grant Prime Publishing, its Affiliates and sublicensees the right to use the name that you submit in connection with the Materials.
6) Specifications and Guidelines. You agree to submit Materials to us in accordance with all guidelines for use of the Service posted on the Prime Publishing web site or of which you are otherwise notified (“Guidelines”), as these Guidelines may be changed in the future.
7) Representations, Warranties and Indemnities. You represent and warrant to Prime Publishing and its Affiliates that (a) you have the right, power, and authority necessary to enter into this Agreement, to fully perform your obligations hereunder, and to grant the licenses set forth in Paragraphs 3 and 5 above, (b) you will comply fully with all terms of this Agreement, © the Materials submitted to Prime Publishing by you, and Prime Publishing’s and its Affiliates’ exercise of their rights hereunder, do not and will not violate, misappropriate or infringe any intellectual property right, including but not limited to trademark rights, copyrights, moral rights and publicity rights of any third party, (d) you possess all rights necessary for the reproduction, distribution, transmission, public performance, public display, and other exploitation of the Materials by Prime Publishing and its Affiliates as permitted hereunder, (e) the Materials are not pornographic, obscene, libelous, defamatory, tortious, or otherwise unlawful, and (f) all factual statements submitted by you are accurate and not misleading. You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold Prime Publishing and its Affiliates harmless from all claims, liabilities, damages, and expenses (including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses) arising from your breach of any representation or warranty set forth in this paragraph.
8) Restrictions. You agree that you will not submit Materials that are unlawful, pornographic, libelous, defamatory, tortious, obscene, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable, or that otherwise violate general Prime Publishing community standards. We expressly reserve the right to remove or not make available any Materials that we deem to be in violation of this Agreement, applicable laws or our community standards in our sole discretion. You agree that you will not upload, post, e-mail or otherwise transmit Materials to us or our Affiliates that contain software viruses or any other computer code, files, or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
9) No Obligation. Although we have the right to include your Materials in the Service or in any Media, we do not have the obligation to do so. We may, in our sole discretion and for any reason, refuse the Materials or remove them from our Service at any time.
10) Changes to Agreement. We reserve the right to change any of the terms of this Agreement or any Specifications or Guidelines governing the Service at any time in our sole discretion. All changes will be effective upon posting to the Service. However, for all changes to this Agreement, excluding Specifications and Guidelines, we will post a notice of change for thirty (30) days. You are responsible for reviewing the notice and any applicable changes. YOUR CONTINUED USE OF THIS SERVICE FOLLOWING OUR POSTING OF ANY CHANGES WILL CONSTITUTE YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH CHANGES.
11) Prime Publishing Intellectual Property. Without our prior written consent, you may not use our intellectual property, including, without limitation, our trademarks, trade names, trade dress, or copyrighted material, in any manner.
12) Communications. Prime Publishing and its Affiliates may communicate with you in connection with the Service, electronically and in other Media, and you consent to such communications regardless of any “Customer Communication Preferences” (or similar preferences or requests) you may have indicated on the web sites of Prime Publishing or its Affiliates or by any other means.
13) Waiver. PRIME PUBLISHING AND ITS AFFILIATES WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO SUCH DAMAGES ARISING FROM BREACH OF CONTRACT OR WARRANTY OR FROM NEGLIGENCE OR STRICT LIABILITY) ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT, EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF (OR KNEW OR SHOULD KNOWN OF) THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
14) Disclaimer. PRIME PUBLISHING PROVIDES THE SERVICE “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
15) Miscellaneous. This Agreement will be governed by the laws of the United States of America and the state of Washington, without reference to rules governing choice of laws. Any action relating to this Agreement must be brought in the federal or state courts located in Seattle, Washington, and you irrevocably consent to the jurisdiction of such courts. You may not assign this Agreement, by operation of law or otherwise, without our prior written consent. Subject to that restriction, this Agreement will be binding on, inure to, and be enforceable against the parties and their respective successors and permitted assigns. Our failure to enforce your strict performance of any provision of this Agreement will not constitute a waiver of our right to enforce such provision or any other provision of this Agreement subsequently. The Specifications and Guidelines (including all future changes) are incorporated by reference into this Agreement. This Agreement is in addition to, and does not supersede or modify, the terms and conditions of use of the web sites of Prime Publishing and its Affiliates.
Who can share images?
You! Anyone who is a registered and logged in user.
What should I share?
Please share images that will help other visitors. For example:
- Images that highlight a article’s features (“Here are the controls on this music player”, “See the clasp for this necklace”, “Look at the box this came in”)
- Images showing someone using a product (“Here I am wearing this scarf”, “Install the ink cartridge here”)
- Images related to a topic (“My dog Skipper”, “A great outfit”, “Our family at Yellowstone”, “How to glue a chair using a cabinet clamp”)
- Images that show how a product performs (“I took this picture with this camera”, “This shirt shrunk in the wash”, “The saw blade after 100 cuts”)
- Images that give a sense of the size of the product (“This refrigerator is actually 6’ tall”, “A cellphone the size of a credit card”)
Do include captions for your images. While not required, they provide context for your images. Additionally, you can use the Image Notes feature to highlight one or more interesting areas in your image. Everyone will see your notes when they roll over your image.
What shouldn’t I share?
Behave as if you were a guest at a friend’s dinner party: please treat the Prime Publishing community with respect. Do not share:
- Profane, obscene, or spiteful images, or any images with nudity
- Images to which you do not own the intellectual property rights
- Images featuring phone numbers, mail addresses, or URLs. You can watermark an image with copyright information.
- Images featuring availability, price, or alternative ordering/shipping information
- Images featuring external Web sites, contests, or other solicitations
- Any personal information about children under 13
- Images with automobile license plates that are prominent and easily read (pictures with license plates that have been fuzzed out or that otherwise cannot be read are acceptable).
The same guidelines apply to your captions and notes.
What image formats and sizes are supported?
We support JPEG, GIF and PNG images. Files must be no more than 1MB. Both the image height and the image width must be between 60 and 3500 pixels.
Instead of uploading an image, can I just enter a link to an image?
No, all images must be uploaded to Prime Publishing. This ensures your image is always available.
How long does it take to upload an image?
The time varies depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the image file. For a 400KB image, for example, you should expect 2 to 4 minutes over a 56KB modem and under 1 minute for DSL or cable modem.
Where will my image appear?
Generally your image will appear where you uploaded it: in the article image gallery.
Who owns the images I upload?
The rights owner of the image continues to own the image; uploading your image to Prime Publishing does not transfer ownership.